Friday, July 19, 2013

OMG THIS.

Ok, so, I absolutely have to share this immediately. It. Is. Amazing.

As some of you may know, I've recently been obsessed with kale. I've actually been meaning to do a post about it, but this gets precedence. Maybe I'll get there.

ANYWAY. KALE.



(Yum!)




with:



CHERRIES!

A weird combo, maybe, but I took a risk. And it totes worked.


First, wild rice.



Then, bake tofu*

Saute kale in about a tablespoon of olive oil on med heat, turning occasionally. Once kale has shrunk down a bit, add a splash of balsamic vinegar and the the cherries. Turn heat to low.



(It's like Christmas in July!)

Once the rice has finished cooking (you could def make it ahead of time), drain it and add to the pan, tossing with the kale and cherries and balsamic. Let it sit on low for a few mins to get all the flavors soaked up. Then serve topped with the baked tofu. Viola!

I honestly cannot believe how delicious and flavorful this came out. AND so healthy. Wins all around. The balsamic just goes perfectly with the sweetness of the cherries and the chewey-ness of the rice. The outside of the tofu gets just a little bit crispy while the inside is still soft, which I love, especially because it's covered in salt. Sometimes I think I'm a genius. Anyway, sorry I don't have a pic of the final product- I ate it too fast. Aaand am only slightly embarrassed to say I mayy have licked the plate.


PS. I had this for dessert the other day and it was the greatest idea I've ever had.

Ok, back to TV binging. Does anyone watch Scandal?






*To bake the tofu I slice it into pieces about 1/2" by 1" and lay on a baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray (I use Smart Balance) and add a liberal amount of salt and pepper, turning to coat. Bake for about 30 mins at 350, turning every 10 mins. I loove making it this way. So easy and delicious.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious. How big are the tofu chunks?
    No, I don't watch Scandal. But The Killing kept me coming back to finish both seasons.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete